Vue du Canal et de l’Hotel de Fonderie de Canon a la Haye (Opticaprent van de gracht tussen het Smidswater en de Nieuwe Uitleg in Den Haag/’s-Gravenhage).
Optical print showing the canal between the Smidwater and the Nieuwe Uitleg in The Hague. Originally this street was called the Canonnenstraat. In 1665 the Landsgeschutgieterij was established here, also called ’s Lands Geschuthuis’. This imposing building with a magnificent façade was designed by Pieter Post, who was also the designer of the Mauritshuis. Initially, the weapons produced here were of poor quality. The gun foundry had soon financial trouble, until the famous Swiss Huguenot Jean Maritz arrived from Spain, securing the factory. After his arrival in 1773, the gun foundry flourished again. The descendants of Maritz also kept the gun foundry within the family. In 1823, Edouard Maritz and Lion Israel of Enthoven founded an equally renowned copper plating, which would become the largest factory in the Netherlands.
Before 1665, the gun foundry of the Republic was established in the Kloosterkerk on the Lange Voorhout. The Kloosterkerk was originally the chapel of the Dominican monastery that lay on and around this spot. During the Reformation, around 1583, the monastery was, for the most part, demolished and eventually disappeared altogether.
Around 1588 the Kloosterkerk was arranged for the storage of horses of the State cavalry and from the beginning of the seventeenth century to 1665 it was used as a gun foundry.
On 3 March 1945 the Bezuidenhout and parts of the Korte Voorhout were bombed by the Allies. Many buildings on the Korte Voorhout and surrounding streets were lost. Het Geschuthuis, which had been turned into Higher Secondary School since 1913, was also destroyed in the bombing.
The monumental façade of the building has been restored and applied to the façade of the Department of Defense at the Kalvermarkt. An old gate of the Geschutshuis has also been restored and now forms a side entrance to the Department of Defense at Bagijnestraat 40.
On the print, the beautiful Post building is visible on the left.
Inscribed at bottom: “Vue du Canal et de l’Hotel de Fonderie de Canon a la Haye” with address: “A Paris chez Basset rue St Jacques a St. Nicolas.”
Hand colored etching and engraving on paper; plate mark: 274 x 405 mm, total: 328 x 504 mm; the plate is in very good condition, creases and a light damp stain on the bottom. Overall condition good.
Incl. BTW € 96,80
Excl. BTW € 80,00