Perrier, François (1594-1649)

[Antique print, etching/ets, Rome] Standing nude man /Staande naakte man [‘Segmenta nobilium signorum et statuarum.’, published 1638.

A nude man wearing a helmet, standing with his left arm alongside his body and his right hand holding a sword; after the marble statue known as the Ares Borghese. The statue, formerly in the Borghese collection, was acquired by the Louvre in 1807. The ankle ring is here missing while the sword is a reconstitution.

Signed and numbered on the ground: “FP B / 39”, FP monogrammed and the B stands for “Bergognone”.

From ‘Segmenta Nobiliarum Signorum et Statuarum’, a series of 101 etched plates (frontispiece and 100 illustrations) representing statues from Rome, first published in Rome in 1638, and reprinted five times before the end of the seventeenth century.

On verso, on the bottom right corner collector’s mark: “P” in black (stencilled?). Date of publishing 1638.

Etching on laid paper; plate mark: 228 x 117 mm, total: 293 x 180 mm; wormhole on the left arm of the soldier, slight browning of the external margins, top right corner folded in, otherwise very nice impression. Le Blanc 38-137.

Incl. BTW  102,85

Excl. BTW  85,00

Download Catalog