Perrier, François (1594-1649)
[Original etching/ets] Nymph with a shell [‘Segmenta nobilium signorum et statuarum.’, 1638]/Nimf met een schelp.
A nymph seated on a river bank and holding a shell in her left hand; after the antique statue known as ‘Nymph with a shell’, formerly in the Borghese collection, now in the Musée du Louvre. Also here, Perrier invented a landscape where to place the statue as it was an actual character.
Signed and numbered on the ground: “FP B 89”, FP monogrammed and the B stands for “Bergognone”.
From ‘Segmenta Nobiliarum Signorum et Statuarum’, a series of 101 etched plates (frontispiece and 100 illustrations) representing statues from Rome, first published in Rome in 1638, and reprinted five times before the end of the seventeenth century.
On verso, on the bottom right corner collector’s mark: “P” in black (stencilled?). Date of publishing 1638.
Etching on laid paper; plate mark: 148 x 203 mm, total: 180 x 263 mm; rather cooked margins, some spots within plate; otherwise in good condition. Le Blanc 38-137.
Incl. VAT € 78,65
Excl. VAT € 65,00