[Handcolored lithograph] S. PUBBLIO MART. PRIMO VESCOVO DI MALTA / patrono della parrocchia della floriana, ca. 1850-1860.
A picture of a statue of St. Publio, patron of the island of Malta. Publio was the first bishop in the island and according to the Scriptures, it was him to welcome St Paul on his journey to the center of Europe. The address on the bottom left suggests that this litho was produced by the Turgis publishers in Paris along with other prints with religious subjects: “PARIS L. TURGIS & FILS, EDIT. IMP.R. DES ECOLES, 60 / ET A NEW YORK LEONARD St. 83”. The publishing house was founded in 1828 and was very prolific throughout the century: it started out in Toulouse to move to Paris and from 1856 a branch was opened in New York. This latter was active until the very beginning of the twentieth century. This St. Publio belongs to the “400” series (479) and should be dated around 1860.
Hand-colored lithography; total: 418 x 292 mm; despite some light smudges and small tears on the margins, in great condition.