Brouërius van Nidek, Mattheus (1677- ca. 1743)

[Dutch Topography, 1733] First edition: Het zegenpralent Kennemerlant, vertoont in veele heerelyke gezichten van deszelfs voornaemste lustplaetzen, adelyke huizen, dorp- en stede-gebouwen … naer ‘t leven getekent en in ‘t koper gebragt door Hendrik de Leth en kortelyk beschreven door Matheus Brouërius van Nidek R.G. 2 volumes in 1 binding. Amsterdam: A. en H. de Leth, [1732-1733], (6)+24+18 pp. 50 illustrated sheets with 2 engravings, 2 engraved titlepages and 1 folding map.

Half leather binding with small damages, Folio, 37 x 25 cm. Folding map (expands to the left). 50 sheets with each 2 engravings, good complete copy. Some small foxing and 1 water damage spot on the first pages. Small wormhole on the last two pages without the text.

With illustrations of Castricum, Heemskerk, Beverwijk, Velzen, Bloemendaal, Haarlem, Overveen, Zandvoort, Vogelzang, Berkenrode, Heemstede, Bennebroek and Hillegom.

First edition of this beautifully executed work on country houses, churches, public buildings, parks, gardens and garden plans in Kennemerland (the coastal region between Haarlem and Castricum). The left expanding map shows Kennemerland from Haarlem in the south to Castricum in the north. The plates are engraved by Hendrik de Leth (1703-1766), who also published the book together with his father Andries. Andries de Leth (1662-1731) used to be the assistant of Nicolaas Visscher II in his Amsterdam firm. After Visscher’s death he managed the shop for the widow and he finally took over the business when she died in 1726. His son Hendrik joined him in the publishing firm that specialised in the production of maps, plates and plate books. Hendrik was a skilled engraver, as is well displayed in Het Zegenpralent Kennemerlant. There are two half-page engravings on each plate with engraved text in Dutch and French underneath. De Leth made the very accurate drawings for the prints in 1728 (introduction p. 3). This first edition was probably published in 1732 or 1733 (not 1731 as is often mentioned), shortly after the death of Andries de Leth in 1731 (whose name still appears in the impressum), as in the text of the introduction to the second volume (Introduction p. 10) is mentioned ‘this year 1732’. The historian Mattheus Brouërius van Nidek (1677- ca 1743) wrote the explanatory notes to both volumes, but the book was appreciated for the fine plates rather than because of the historical notes. It became quit popular and went through several editions in the course of the 18th century. In 1806 the plates were used again in the HOllandsche Arcadia, a collected edition of several eighteenth-century plate books.

Lit: Tiele 51; Ekama 555 (editie 1768); Van der Steur, Harlemia Illustrata p.22-24; over De Leth: Caart-Thresoor 18 (1999) 2 p.29-35; over Van Nidek: NNBW VI, 213. R0175.

Eerste editie van dit fraaie werk met afbeeldingen van landhuizen, kerken, openbare gebouwen, parken en tuinen in het kustgebied van Kennemerland tussen Haarlem en Castricum. De graveur is Hendrik de Leth (1703-1766) die het boek samen met zijn vader Andries publiceerde. Andries de Leth (1662 -1731) was oorspronkelijk werkzaam bij Nicolaas Visscher II te Amsterdam. Na Visschers dood nam hij de zaak waar voor de weduwe en in 1726 na haar dood nam hij het bedrijf over. De jonge Hendrik de Leth maakte de tekeningen voor de gravures in 1728 (inleiding p.3) en de eerste editie verscheen in 1732 of 1733 (niet in 1731 zoals vaak wordt geschreven). In de inleiding van deel 2 is namelijk sprake van “dit jaar 1732”. Brouërius van Nidek (1677 – ca 1743) verzorgde de tekst, maar het boek is vooral van belang voor de fraaie prenten. Er volgden diverse herdrukken in de 18de eeuw en in 1806 werden de prenten nog eens gebruikt voor een verzamelwerk van een aantal van dit soort boeken onder de titel ‘Hollandsche Arcadia’.

Incl. VAT  2016,50

Excl. VAT  1.850,00

Download Catalog

Additional information

Abebooks

Period Made

You may also like…