Hand colored view of the square of the St. Sebastian Doelen (De nieuwe doelen in Den Haag), now Historical Museum of The Hague (Haags Historisch Museum) in the Korte Vijverberg. On the right foreground the Hofvijver.
The print illustrates the former archery house of St. Sebastian’s guild established in 1636. It is built on the spot of a gatehouse that was used by the civic guard. Parts of its cross-vaulted basement have been incorporated in the new archery house and can still be seen today. The civic guard of St. Sebastian used their quarters for parties and meetings. Immediately behind the building, alongside the Hofvijver, their shooting ranges were situated. Since the late 18th century, after the dissolution of the civic guard guild the building has been used as a hotel, court house and museum. Since 1986 the Historical Museum of The Hague resides in the St. Sebastiaansdoelen.
This print was used in: Jacob de Riemer’s: “Beschryving van ‘s-Graven-Hage…” Delft and Den Haag, 1730-1739.
Titled above, on a ribbon: ”t BUITEN-HOF.’ Signed at bottom: ‘G.v. Giessen del. / R. Boitet Excud. Cum Privil’.
Handcolored etching on paper with margins; plate mark: 281 x 347 mm, total: 319 x 369 mm; two sheets joined together on the verso; some smudges along the margins, otherwise in fair condition.
Incl. VAT € 181,50
Excl. VAT € 150,00
Incl. VAT € 4360,00Excl. VAT € 4.000,00 Add to cart
Incl. VAT € 48,40Excl. VAT € 40,00 Add to cart
Incl. VAT € 266,20Excl. VAT € 220,00 Add to cart